Life in a Day premiered live on Youtube from the Sundance Film Festival on Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 6pm Central. The design of the project was for people from all around the world to film their lives on July 24, 2010 for one day. Award winning filmmakers Ridley Scott and Kevin Macdonald along with a team of documentarians took 80,000 entries and created a 90-minute feature film to capture life around the world.
While we shot footage for the project and made it to the final group of potentials, we did not make it into the final cut. However, I watched the premiere with a sense of investment as someone who took part in the process and took pride in our commitment to filling for fourteen hours on 7-24-2010. As I watched the premiere, I took notes on each segment and provide them below as those things that struck me most about the lives of people around the world.
- An Elvis wedding, with the ceremony presided by an Elvis impersonator, with an Elvis groom.
- A Korean cyclist who is biking around the world and has visited over 100 countries in the past 9 years.
- We share a phone call between David, a young gay New York man, and his grandmother, when he reveals his sexuality to her for the first time.
- A news reporter in Afghanistan who shows the potential of his country’s future in the simple display of children practicing at a local martial arts studio.
- On the other side of the world, an American woman video skypes to her husband who is stationed in the US military overseas.
As part of the project, Kevin Macdonald asked all filmmakers to answer several questions. The responses were interesting and often thought-provoking and the theme through all of them was that the world is a big place but we all share a lot in common. Here is a selection of those answers.
What’s in your pocket?
- Keys to a Lamborghini
- Cell phones
- Rosary beads
- Hypodermic needles
What do we love?
- Cats and other animals
- The smell of a muddy river
- Being alive
- Doing 150mph down a motorway
- Football (sports)
- One Middle Eastern man showed affection for his refrigerator
What do we fear?
- Monsters, ghosts, witches, zombies (mostly from children)
- Dogs, wasps, spiders
- “robbers and rapers”
- Growing up
- Hair falling out
- Dying, especially losing someone we love
- Afraid god isn’t really
If you would like to see “Life in a Day,” you can check out the Youtube channel for over 4500 selected videos.